If you are an animal lover, then you will always feel the need to adopt all the stray cats that you meet on your way. Yes, I know that because I’ve done this in a few circumstances, but what this “habit” thought me is that it’s extremely important for both you and the cat you are taking home to follow these guidelines. They will help you have a clearer vision on what are the “dos” and “donts” when taking a stray cat into your house.
- Once inside, isolate the cat into her own little space until you take the necessary health care steps. These steps include taking your cat to the vet, so they can have her checked for any issue, tested for various contagious diseases, vaccinated and so on. Wash your own hands if going between these cats in a multi-cat household.
- Now, if you already have cats that share your home, introduce them to the stray cat slowly. Let the cats get to know your stray cat from either side of, or under a door. Eventually, you can even put the new cat in a carrier, and let the other cats take their time checking her out. You might even put other cats in carriers, and let the new cat check the house out. I might introduce her to one cat at a time, if there are several in the household. If it feels as if it’s going really well, it may be a fast (and successful) introduction. If someone seems really bent out of shape, I’ll take my time and make sure that all the cats get some extra love during this time of transition.
- Be prepared to expect the unexpected with your new, formerly stray cat. We can never know the baggage that a rescued stray cat may carry, but it may manifest once we get to know these newcomers better. Be ready for surprises. At some point, they can even try to escape even after their successful integration to the household. If the stray cat somehow managed to escape outside, the cat might experience a change in her behavior, she can become “distant” and almost wild and if you can’t find her for some days in a row, it may be possible that she won’t return back to you.
- Create conditions. You need also to create conditions needed to take care of your new family member. You should offer the cat some food, fresh water and some type of litter box. If you don’t exactly know what cats usually eat, you should buy different kinds of wet cat food, because it is very useful for cats. A blanket is a good thing for your pet to rest on. A quiet room and some toys for better bonding are also some key ingredients when it comes to what a stray cat needs in her first days in a new home.
- One of the most important tips when adopting a cat is to let it come to you. I know that it is so tempting to touch and pick up your new cat. You should stop chasing and bothering your pet, but let him come to you. Cats are very sensitive creatures, so it usually takes them some time to get used to the atmosphere and people around them. I think it is useless to force your cat to sleep on top of you because he will run away all the time. Treat your cat with love and he will come to you on his own.
It is very noble to help stray animals. Only good-natured people can bring a stray cat into their home and give it a shelter. But you are to be patient and careful enough to avoid various problems. If you follow these tips, your new stray kitten will become an important and loved member of your family in a quite short period of time.